One of the most common obstacles for bicyclists is the lack of bicycle parking at their destination. At the most basic level, bicycle parking encourages people to ride, but also has some specific benefits, even for those not riding bicycles:
- Bicycle parking is good for business. Bicycle parking provide additional parking spaces which customers can use to patronize local businesses. Bicycle parking not only invites those riding bicycles in, but they also announce to all customers that the business supports sustainable values, and increasingly important factor for many consumers.
- Designated, well-designed bicycle parking promotes a more orderly streetscape and preserves the pedestrian right-of-way:
- It presents a more orderly appearance for buildings,
- It prevents damage to trees and street furniture, and
- It keeps bicycles from falling over and blocking the sidewalk.
- Bicycle parking helps legitimize cycling as a transportation mode by providing parking opportunities equal to motorized modes of travel.
The City of Memphis can assist in providing bicycle parking to commercial and retail businesses within its boundaries. For more information on requesting a bicycle rack for your business or nominating a business you frequently travel to by bicycle, please follow the links below: