One of the most common obstacles for bicyclists is the lack of bicycle parking at their destination. At the most basic level, bicycle parking encourages people to ride, but also has some specific benefits, even for those not riding bicycles:
- Bicycle parking is good for business. Bicycle parking provide additional parking spaces which customers can use to patronize local businesses. Bicycle parking not only invites those riding bicycles in, but they also announce to all customers that the business supports sustainable values, and increasingly important factor for many consumers.
- Designated, well-designed bicycle parking promotes a more orderly streetscape and preserves the pedestrian right-of-way:
- It presents a more orderly appearance for buildings,
- It prevents damage to trees and street furniture, and
- It keeps bicycles from falling over and blocking the sidewalk.
- Bicycle parking helps legitimize cycling as a transportation mode by providing parking opportunities equal to motorized modes of travel.
The City of Memphis can assist in providing bicycle parking to commercial and retail businesses within its boundaries. For more information on requesting a bicycle rack for your business or nominating a business you frequently travel to by bicycle, please follow the links below:
Requests will be taken up on a first-come, first-serve basis. Bike racks must meet certain spatial requirements. If your first choice does not meet these spatial requirements, we will work with you to find a suitable location. Additionally, we have a limited number of racks and your request may go unfulfilled if no racks are available. If your location is approved, the bike rack will be installed within two to three months, while supplies last.
Special Event Bike Parking
In an effort to encourage more people to reach special events by bike, the City of Memphis offers ten event bike racks that can be borrowed for public or private special events at no cost. With each rack designed to hold at least seven bicycles, the City’s collection allows an event to provide proper parking for 70 or more bikes. The borrower is required to assume liability for the racks in the event of any damage, and is responsible for transporting the racks from and to the City’s storage location.
Benefits of Event Bike Parking:
- Reduced demand for car parking.
- Reduced number of bicycles locked to street poles, trees, fences, or on property owned by others.
- Reduced number of bicycles being walked through crowded spaces, such as street festivals.
- Encouragement of bicycling for transportation.
Points for Consideration:
- Event organizers are recommended to provide bike parking capacity equal to a minimum of 2% of the total expected crowd attendance.
- Bicycle parking should be located as close as feasible to the event’s main entrance, or within direct sight thereof.
- If space on the event’s property does not adequately allow for bike parking, the event organizer may be able to obtain permission to temporarily use space on an adjacent public right-of-way (i.e. an on-street parking space, sidewalk, etc.). Please contact City of Memphis Traffic Engineering at 636-6710 for more information.
FOR INQUIRIES OR RESERVATIONS:
The City of Memphis uses guidelines developed by the Association of Bicycle and Pedestrian Professionals to determine placement of bike rack locations and preferred types of bike racks. You can read those guidelines here: Bike Parking Guidelines