May is National Bike Month, and to celebrate the City wants to see citizens’ snapshots of their fellow Memphians riding bicycles. In return, participants may receive a $150 gift certificate to a local bike shop.
Starting May 1st, the City’s Bikeway and Pedestrian Program will conduct the MemphisRides Photo Contest. Citizens will compete by publicly posting photographs on social media of people riding bicycles. Depending on various criteria, each submitted photograph will receive points. Whoever has received the most points by May 31st will receive the grand prize gift certificate to Pedaltown Bicycle Co.
How To Play:
- Take a photo of a fellow Memphian riding a bicycle (holding or walking a bicycle count as well).
- Publicly post the photo on Facebook or Twitter and include both #MemphisRides and @BikePedMemphis in the text field. (Note that on Facebook you may need to like our page in order for the handle to function properly.)
- Repeat as many times as you like throughout the month of May to collect more points. See below as to how points are determined.
Only the first two photos on any given day will be scored. Any additional photos posted on the date in question would be used in the event of a tie. For the first two photos posted, points will be awarded as follows:
- 1 photo of a person riding a bicycle = 1 point
- If more than one cyclist is visible in the image = 1 point
- If the cyclist is wearing “everyday” clothing = 1 point
- If any recognizable Memphis landmarks are in the background = 1 point
- If the cyclist is riding in an on-street bike lane = 2 points
- If the cyclist is waiting at a bus stop with the bike or loading his/her bike on the bike rack of a bus = 2 points
- The contest opens at 12:00 AM on May 1, 2017, and closes at 11:59 PM on May 31, 2017. Any photos posted outside of this time frame will not be eligible submissions.
- Posts must include #MemphisRides and @BikePedMemphis to be considered.
- For the sake of participants’ safety, “selfies” will not be eligible submissions.
- Photos must be taken in the Memphis area. Any photos clearly not taken locally (i.e. mountains in the background, streets lined with palm trees, incongruent signage, etc.) will not be eligible submissions.
- You may post as many photos a day as you like, but only the first two on that day will be scored. Any additional photos posted on the date in question would be used in the event of a tie.
- All photos need to have been taken in the month of May, 2017; however, they do not have to be posted on the same day they were taken.
- Whoever has the highest final score after the contest has closed, wins the gift certificate.
- In the event of a tied final score between two or more participants, whoever submitted the most photos from May 1 to May 31 (including those photos not scored) wins. Here’s an example:
- Jack posts 5 photos a day, every day in May. Only his first two photos from each day are scored. At the end of May, Jack has 100 points. Amy posts 6 photos a day, every day in May. Only her first two photos from each day are scored. At the end of May, Amy also has 100 points, but because she posted more photos overall, she beats Jack with the tie breaker.
- The winning participant must be able to prove residency within the City of Memphis through a valid ID.
- Once the winner has been announced, the decision is final.
- By participating in the contest, you hereby grant to the City of Memphis, Division of Engineering and its affiliates, subsidiaries, licensees and assigns, an irrevocable, perpetual and royalty-free right to use, reproduce, edit, display, transmit, prepare derivative works of, modify, publish and otherwise make use of the submitted photo in any and all media for any purpose.